Ligges stud – Horses for the sport
The Ligges stud lies in the heart of the horse region Münsterland, very close to the city of Münster. The yard with its historical buildings in timber-framed style has been harmoniously and purposfully planned and extended with a stable and an indoor school.
It is good to be a horse at the Ligges stud.
The stable consists of 60 hectar with about 120 horses: broodmares (seven of them have been in sports and are owned by the stud), foals, yearlings, remontes, youngster talents in training and of course, the ten stallions of the stud. The stallions live in their own, seperate stallion stable. For the mares a new, light and airy hall has been build with big boxes for the mares that are to foal and a and chip-monitoring system.
The young horses come into big paddocks after the grassing season. These paddocks have seperate feeding stations and sleeping spaces with sufficient space and fresh air, also provided in the winter months. We feed our own home grown oats, added with high quality mineral feed, our own silage (corn silage mixed with grass silage), nutritious hay and the best straw.
A thorough training as a foundation for future success.
The training of the horses and the training of the stallions used in sports is managed by Kai Ligges, master in horse management and Nations Cup rider and Monika Schnepper, as well master in horse management, advanced level dressage and show jumping rider and for more than 20 years in Hebern. She was already trusted by Kai´s father Fritz Ligges. Both of them are supported by the insemination master and leader of the insemination center, Sebastian Dammann, as well by several trainees and other staff. A diverse training plan is easily done as there is an indoor school of 20x60 m, a longing indoor, a walker, an extensive outside arena and countryside for hacking.
Hand in hand with our breeders:
• EU-insemination station. Fresh semen and frozen semen, also in dispatch
• Veterinary supervision at the yard (Dr. Schulze Thier, Ascheberg)
• Boxes and fields for guest mares and foals
• Tenure of fields for foals without their mares, youngsters, as well as mares with foal
• Birth Watch
• Stallion rearing
• Training and preparation of young stallions for the licensing
• Healthy rearing (open stables) in big herds for young and older horses
• Training of your horse (breaking in and corrections), presentation at competitions
• Sales and intervention: of promising foals and quality broodmares
• Very well trained riding and competition horses for show jumping, dressage and leisure
• A central point of sale: we can present several horses to the customer. You can present your horse/foal from one of our stallions on the sales pages of our stud, for free.